According to licensed clinical professional art therapist Lacy Mucklow, co-author of the coloring books Color Me Happyand Color Me Calm, the colors themselves carry therapeutic qualities. That is to say, selecting colors can literally affect your mood.
Here’s a guide to how you can use colors to pep up or calm down—or combine them for a total mood makeover:
- Cool colors like blues, greens, and purples have a calming effect. Use them to literally chill out.
- Warm colors like red, orange, and yellow are pepper-uppers. Use them to pick up a bad mood.
- Bright colors are energizing, so turn to them when you want a little inner lift.
- Dark colors carry a lower energy, and can be used to ratchet down an overactive mind.
- Pastels and light tints communicate softness, and are soothing to the soul.
See the whole story at Parade.com .
Parade Magazine has a print circulation of 32 million and online views of 2.5 million per month.