Subtitle 52 Family Friendly Experiments from Around the House
Inspire a lifelong passion for science with these physics, chemistry, and biology experiments for kids—all using common household tools and ingredients!
In Kitchen Science Lab for Kids, mom and scientist Liz Lee Heinecke presents 52 family-friendly labs that introduce fundamental scientific principles in a fun and accessible format.
Following clear, photo-illustrated step-by-step instructions, have fun exploring:
Along with the experiments, you’ll find:
- Microbiology by growing your own microbe zoo on a homemade petri plate.
- Rocket science by making and launching bottle rockets, using water and a bike pump.
- Physics—marshmallow slingshots serve as a lesson on the transformation of energy and an egg-throwing experiment demonstrates the law of motion.
- And so much more! Other great projects explore the exciting science of crystals, static electricity, acidification, and solar energy.
- Tips for keeping a science journal.
- Suggestions for taking your experimentation to the next level with “Creative Enrichment.”
- Accessible explanations of “The Science Behind the Fun.”
- Safety tips and hints.
The experiments can be used as part of a homeschool curriculum, for family fun, at parties, or as educational activities for groups. Many of the experiments are safe enough for children as young as toddlers
and exciting enough for older kids
, so families can discover the joy of science together.
The popular Lab for Kids series
features a growing list of books that share hands-on activities and projects on a wide host of topics
, including art, astronomy, clay, geology, math, and even how to create your own circus—all authored by established experts in their fields.
Each lab contains a complete materials list, clear step-by-step photographs of the process, as well as finished samples. The labs can be used as singular projects or as part of a yearlong curriculum of experiential learning. The activities are open-ended, designed to be explored over and over, often with different results. Geared toward being taught or guided by adults, they are enriching for a range of ages and skill levels.
Gain firsthand knowledge on your favorite topic with Lab for Kids.