To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however, and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
Quarto is currently seeking a creative, collaborative, and dynamic Acquiring Editor to join our Beverly, MA team. The Acquiring Editor is responsible for acquiring and developing 12-15 titles a year in the areas of healthy eating, general cooking, health, fitness, self-help, lifestyle, and parenting. The Acquiring Editor will work closely with the Group Publisher, authors, copyeditors, project managers, illustrators, and designers to define, develop, and execute the books from concept through publishing strategy. The role supports the effort to create a cohesive, high-level publishing program that takes into account current creative trends, the desires and needs of Fair Winds’ core audience, and the broader marketplace to create beautiful, in-demand books and products.
You will be primarily responsible for bringing a steady stream of 12-15 titles annually, negotiating contracts and maintaining relationships with authors. You are a developer and cultivator of relationships with a keen eye on the mind, body, spirit market. You will have or will quickly build a network of prospective author candidates who are experts in their respective fields. Reporting to the Group Publisher you will recognize that timely delivery of ideas and content is key to reaching our goals.
We are looking for someone with a proven record for publishing successful, high-quality non-fiction, and strong relationships with agents and authors to build on the existing long-term editorial strategy, who will personally acquire and manage book projects, and drive the balance of acquisitions across the list. You will have a track record of acquiring and editing groundbreaking books in the category.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Setting clear priorities, manage expectations, negotiate alternatives, communicate risks and progress, ensure timely follow-through, and problem solve in a compassionate and practical manner.
- Negotiating contracts within established parameters of the financial targets set for the project and consulting with legal when needed.
- Understanding the financial implications in the contract and using established P&L forms and systems.
- Vetting and identifying the strongest candidates to match editor and project needs, including researching author platforms.
- Ensure solid title information sheet and jacket, online, metadata and catalog copy
- Conduct and evaluate title sales research, as it relates to acquisition P&Ls
- Partner with the publicity and marketing teams on campaigns for publication
Key Results Areas Include:
- Spotting key trends and remaining current with the health, fitness and lifestyle field while continuously analyzing the competitive environment and consumer trends.
- Conceive, develop, and acquire original titles to each list, researching and enlisting appropriate authors
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Broad knowledge of the mind, body spirit market and other publishing categories.
- Prefer at least 3 years acquisition experience or equivalent experience in an editorial or product development role.
- An understanding of content development and the editorial and marketing factors that enable books to succeed.
- Creative, fresh ideas from major media and social media include IG, TikTok, and influential bloggers/websites.
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and eloquent and impactful presentation abilities
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in creative problem-solving, decision making, time management, and setting priorities
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply