To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
Quarto Publishing Group is seeking an Art Director to join our creative publishing team in our Beverly MA office. The Art Director position encompasses a wide range of responsibilities including conceptualizing, designing, directing, and managing the creation of high-quality illustrated books, calendars, and kits. Working in collaboration with in-house editorial teams and freelancers to design a high volume of projects in a fast-paced environment. The Art Director ensures the graphic excellence of all projects and their accompanying design, illustration, and photography with an adherence to budget and deadline requirements
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Collaborate with Creative Director and Acquisitions team to launch the design and art program for projects.
- Source, direct and supervise freelance designers, illustrators, and photographers (remotely and on location as needed).
- Ensure projects comply with company standards for budget, schedule, and quality.
- Work within established schedules to ensure projects deliver on deadline and that all materials comply with company standards and quality.
- Able to foster and tailor project designs.
- Keeps up to date on art and design trends and industry style to keep skills sharpened.
- Keeping projects moving smoothly to maintain publication schedule.
- Liaise with production department to maintain best practices for file management.
- Work within established schedules to ensure projects deliver on deadline.
- Communicate schedule and deadline concerns to Creative Director and Managing Editor.
- Additional duties as directed by Creative Director
Minimum Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Ability to identify/evaluate and execute successful cover and interior book design layouts.
- Demonstrated experience in managing freelance resources with excellent communication skills.
- Works well under pressure in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, demonstrating organized and methodical work habits.
- Knowledge of printing processes and ability to review files with regard to technical integrity.
- Broad understanding of current book production technology and procedures.
- High level of proficiency of the Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator in addition to Suitcase Fusion, Microsoft Word and Excel.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year degree from an accredited college, with a major in design or related subject.
- Minimum three years’ experience in print publishing design field, preferably book publishing.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating design abilities.
- Knowledge or experience in studio photography/running photo shoots.
- Interest in subject matter relevant to publishing categories.
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits & generous paid time off.
All applicants should be authorized to work in the United States.