Quarto publishing group is seeking a Senior Marketing and Publicity Manager in the Cooking space to join a diverse and dynamic Marketing and Publicity Team. Quarto’s Marketing and PR team develops dynamic and creative campaigns for hundreds of titles a year and are looking for someone with cookbook experience to join our growing team.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast paced and creative environment and be able to develop unique and results driven marketing and publicity campaigns for cookery titles in a competitive landscape. We are looking for a candidate who can create and execute marketing and publicity plans with specific goals for individual cookery titles and the overall lists under a range of Quarto imprints in the designated subject areas. These plans shall be lead-title driven, designed to generate sales, build brand awareness, and maximize exposure to the target audience through online, print, broadcast, and other channels.
This position reports into the US Director of Marketing and PR and will sit in either our New York, NY or Beverly, MA office on a hybrid schedule.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop dynamic, creative and results driven marketing and publicity campaigns for 60-70 cookbooks/year, across Quarto imprints in both the US and the UK.
- Confidently develop and deliver lead title pitches to targeted media, forming relationships with key media contacts in the Cookery category, and work with in-house publicists (and outside publicists when necessary) to get the broadest coverage possible for lead books, across print and online media and broadcast.
- Write press releases and develop media kits, build media lists, and secure strong PR for our growing list of cookery titles.
- Communicate media coverage with authors, agents, and internal staff in an excited and enthusiastic way.
- Lead the planning, pitching, logistics and budget for author tours as part of assigned publicity campaigns.
- Develop relationships with events teams at indie bookstores for author signings and events.
- Build relationships with media and freelance publicity teams to develop the best campaigns for cookbook titles on the list.
- Develop relationships with authors and internal team to build excitement for new titles.
- Develop and oversee social media strategies for assigned titles, both paid and organic, for optimal reach and awareness.
- Build, test, and report on digital marketing campaigns with the goal of building channel specific sales for new titles.
- Develop marketing campaigns for backlist titles to boost sales around key moments.
- Develop A+ content and other marketing collateral as needed for assigned titles.
- Collaborate with marketing department on umbrella campaigns and to develop influencer partnerships.
- Maintain review quotes and copy updates for assigned titles.
- Analyze and report on the results of marketing initiatives and their impact on sales on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, as appropriate.
- Keep up to date on evolutionary change in social media and online platforms, traffic, strategies, opportunities, and technologies, especially as they pertain to our subject areas, and provide input and insight to the group when they are significant enough to shape our strategy.
- Manage marketing budget for assigned titles, ensuring marketing spend is being used in the most effective way possible.
- Communicate regularly to the company on marketing initiatives, developments, and accomplishments.
- Work with National Account and Specialty Sales Reps to ensure customers are informed of publicity and marketing activity that might support sales efforts in the various channels.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills, knowledge & abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience planning and executing marketing, publicity and social media strategy, with a preference placed on those with direct cookbook experience.
- Highly creative with an ability to conceive of new and innovative approaches to marketing, particularly social media marketing.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively and in partnership with Publishing, Sales, and Authors.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with time-management and multi-tasking skills, and ability to set and meet deadlines and budgets.
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with author care and communication
- Thorough knowledge of media, public relations, and publicity organizations and/or book publishing.
- Self-starter with ability to follow through and execute efficiently.
- Willingness to learn and adapt as job and/or organization changes.
- Understanding of and appreciation for enthusiasts and enthusiast publishing.
- Willingness to travel to trade shows, conventions and author events as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, Cision, Edelweiss, and Box/Dropbox preferred.
- Relationships and experience with independent bookstores a plus
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants should be authorized to work in the United States