To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however, and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a talented Acquiring Editor to join the team in our Boston North Shore office! This position will be responsible for acquiring and developing 10-15 titles a year in the areas of art, art technique, and creative hobbies. The Acquiring Editor works closely with the publisher, editorial director, authors, copyeditors, project managers, illustrators and designers to define, develop, and execute the books from concept through publishing strategy. They will support the effort to create a cohesive, high-level publishing program that considers current creative trends, the desires and needs of our core audience, and the broader marketplace to create beautiful, in-demand books and products. Are you the right person for the job? Creative energy, self-motivation, passion and a sense of humor are essential. Come join our team! We will consider remote applications for the right candidate.
The key responsibilities for this role will include but are not limited to:
- Acquire & Develop 10-15+ books annually.
- Identify trends, topics and formats in Art & Craft and adjacent spaces to concept, brief and acquire a steady stream of proposals for regular acquisitions meetings.
- Cultivate strong relationships with authors, literary agents, artists, emerging as well as established experts and creative communities with the goal of acquiring projects and developing partnerships.
- Responsible for evaluating and developing book proposals and making creative, commercial and imprint focused acquisitions proposals including P&L projections, making offers, and participating in auctions as well as full contract negotiation and payment requests with authors and agents.
- Responsible for notifying all authors and contributors in writing about any repackaging plans regarding their books in a timely fashion and bringing the author's expertise and feedback in-house to team meetings (acquisitions, cover/design, sales).
- Through the life of the book or product, act as content "expert" and author delegate to help shape marketing plans, sales strategies, PR opportunities and metadata improvements.
- Perform continual research to remain on top of trends and competition in the marketplace.
- Work closely with authors to shape the content, style and approach of each book. Coach the author and other contributors during the writing process to keep them on track and on target for delivery.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive necessary to channel innovation into book form and curiosity for new, diverse voices and ideas and breaking trends (with staying power).
- Evaluate authors’ manuscripts and artwork or photography for quality, voice, consistency, and market appropriateness.
- Traffic projects through all stages of editorial and production and coordinate the process with the authors, working collaboratively with the editorial, design, and production teams.
- Work closely with sales and marketing to ensure strategic planning and scheduling of new items.
- Write marketing materials including Advance Information sheets, jacket copy, and book descriptions.
- Brainstorm unique ideas and opportunities with the marketing and sales team that reflect the unique subject matter or unique author platform.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or English or related discipline; or proven publishing experience.
- 3+ years of experience in acquisitions or content development.
- Familiarity with Adobe, Photoshop, InDesign, and MS Word editing software.
- Demonstrate ability for creativity, organization and precision.
- Strong interest / activity in art & craft field.
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Displays diplomacy and good judgment.
- Experience in developing content related to licensed and non licensed art instruction, inspiration, crafting, DIY, and fine art publishing.
- Familiarity with social platforms, networking and subject-related blogs.
…then we want to hear from you!
To apply please submit letter of interest and resume by email to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits & generous paid time off.
All applicants should be authorized to work in the United States.