The World Encyclopaedia of Racing Drivers is a remarkable work of unprecedented scale that charts the lives and achievements of over 2,500 racing drivers from 1894 to the present day, from all eras and countries. As well as featuring the many great champions who have graced the world's circuits, this three-volume set also highlights numerous obscure and little-known characters who have made the sport so compelling. The result of many years of endeavor by a dedicated author, this work breaks new ground in motor racing research and will be treasured by anyone interested in the history of the sport.
- Containing nearly a million words, this is a biographical reference, a reliable source of statistics, a diverse collection of portrait photographs and a mine of factual information.
- Each entry includes key race and championship wins alongside biographical information.
- Every driver to have featured in the Formula 1 World Championship, as well as pre-war Grand Prix stars.
- Le Mans 24 Hours: coverage of all top-five finishers since 1949 and top-three finishers in pre-war contests.
- Indianapolis 500: coverage of all top-five finishers, including relief drivers.
- Champcar and Indycar: coverage of all top-three finishers since 1979 and winners of races before that date.
- Winners of races and champions in NASCAR, Can-Am (1966–74), IMSA, American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am, plus in addition overall champions in F5000, Indy Lights, Touring cars and Trans-Am.
- The unheralded characters play their part: a racing suicide, drug-running, industrial espionage, an elopement in a race-winning car, film stars in racing.
For nearly 30 years Peter Higham worked for Haymarket Consumer Media, publisher of motor racing magazines and websites, and for half of that period he was director of LAT Photographic, the world’s largest motor racing photo archive. A motor racing enthusiast since watching his first race in 1973, he has written several books, including the acclaimed International Motor Racing Guide, Formula 1: Car by Car, and World Encyclopaedia of Racing Drivers. He has been a columnist for Autosport and Motor Sport and was instrumental in running the prestigious Autosport Awards for more than 25 years.