30-Second Engineering surveys the tasks and challenges that engineers face in every field, from civil to electrical, and explores their methods, inventions and achievements.
Part of the 30-Second series, this introduction to engineering is split into 7 chapters that cover:
- Engineering Methods – from problem solving to applying mathematics
- Civil & Environmental Engineering – building bridges, taming rivers and industry ethics
- Mechanical, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering – from thrust bearings to robotics
- Chemical Engineering & Energy Production – energy supplies and industry hazards
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering – from computers to internet storage and biomedical body parts
- Aerospace & Transport Engineering – driverless cars, floating factories and lessons from space
- Engineering the future – how engineers endeavour to save the planet
Plus profiles of notable engineers, such as Ernst Dickmanns, William Rankine, Liang Jianying and Fazlur Khan.
Each topic is summarised in 300 words with one image, helping you understand the subject at great speed. Written by industry experts
from around the world, this book gives incredible insight to an underrated but integral occupation
. Without it, skyscrapers
, driverless cars, energy supply systems, AI
, factories, the internet and aircraft
would not exist. Engineering enabled our evolution
and this book will arm you with the conversational prowess to discuss it.
If you like this then you might be interested in 30-Second Energy
. . .