England - perhaps more than anywhere - is home to many excellent vintage and antiques fairs, from sprawling events attracting buyers from around the world to smaller local markets, from high-end affairs selling fine furniture, porcelain, silver and paintings to more modest gatherings offering everyday collectables and vintage. This guide provides comprehensive information about forty of the best regularly held fairs across England, offering practical advice on visiting, tips on how to bargain and what to see, eat and do nearby. It is a book for everyone interested in the market experience, antiques-loving or vintage-obsessed, dealers or dabblers.
Sandy Price's passion is not only the collectibles to be found in the markets but also the whole market experience, which she tries to capture and make accessible to readers. She has written two books on the flea markets of France, published in 1999 and 2009—Exploring the Flea Markets of France (published by Three Rivers Press, a division of Random House) and The Flea Markets of France (published by the Little Bookroom).
During many visits to England over the years, Sandy also became keenly interested in English collectibles and in the very impressive—and often much more substantial—markets here. She is based this winter and early spring in London, where she is researching and travelling for the purpose of this book.
Her last book, The Flea Markets of France, has been featured in a number of magazines and newspapers in North America, Britain and the rest of Europe. They include House and Garden, The Guardian, Living France, Maison Chic, Nylon, Intermezzo, Ralph Lauren Magazine, and National Geographic Traveler.
The Vintage and Antique Fair Experience
London and Vicinty
– Alexandra Palace Antique and 20th Century Fair, London N2
– Bermondsey Square Antiques Market, Southwark, London SE1
– Jubilee Market at Covent Garden, London, WC2
– Epsom Racecourse Antiques Fair, Epsom, Surrey
– Sandown Park Antiques and Vintage Fair, Esher, Surrey
– Greenwich “The Royal Charter” Market, London, SE10
– Portobello Market, Notting Hill, London W10
– Royal Horticultural Hall Antiques Fair, Lindley Hall, London, SW1
– Old Spitalfields Antique and Vintage Flea Market, London, E1
– Sunbury Antiques Market, Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex
Carboots in London:
– Battersea Park Road Carboot, London SW11
– Chiswick Community School Carboot, London W4
The Southeast and East Anglia
– Ardingly IACF International Antique and Collectors Fair, Ardingly, West Sussex
– Fontwell Park Antiques and Collectors Fair, Arundel, West Sussex
– Goodwood Racecourse Antique and Collectors Fair, Chichester, West Sussex
– Detling International Antiques and Collectors Fair, Maidstone, Kent
– Wood Green Antique and Collectors Fair, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
– Newbury IACF International Antique and Collectors Fair, Newbury, Berkshire
– Newmarket Racecourse Antique and 20th Century Fair, Newmarket, Suffolk
– Norfolk Showground Antiques and Collectors Fair, Norwich, Norfolk
– Peterborough Festival of Antiques, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
– Bakewell Antiques and Collectables Fair, Bakewell, Derbyshire
– Big Brum, Birmingham, West Midlands
– Antiques for Everyone, Birmingham (NEC), West Midlands
– Derby Roundhouse Antiques and Collectors Fair, Derby, Derbyshire
– Antiques in the Park, Kedleston Hall, Derby, Derbyshire
– Lincolnshire International Antiques and Home Show, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
– Malvern Flea and Collectors Fair, Malvern, Worcestershire
– Newark IACF International Antique and Collectors Fair, Newark, Nottinghamshire
– Stafford Antique and Collectors Fair, Stafford, Staffordshire
– Stafford Bingley Hall Antiques Fair, Stafford, Staffordshire
– Swinderby IACF Antique and Collectors Fair, Swinderby, Lincolnshire
– The Bath Flea and Vintage Market, Bath, Somerset
'an expert description of the country's best offerings'
'a beautifully illustrated book highlights the best flea markets, antiques fairs and collector's fairs'
“An invaluable directory for antiques lovers, dealers or dabblers.”
“ An invaluable directory for antiques lovers, dealers or dabblers.”