To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
Quarto is currently seeking a creative and dynamic Acquisition Editor for Wellfleet Press to join its New York team. Wellfleet books is a predominantly series driven imprint enriching and illuminating people lives with titles spanning non-fiction in areas including but not limited to diverse magical and spiritual traditions, psychology, science, nature, and popular culture. This position is based in our New York office but will consider remote opportunities for the right candidate.
The Acquisitions Editor is primarily responsible for acquiring and contracting 15 to 20 commercially viable titles annually. The AE will be responsible for negotiating contracts with authors within established parameters of the financial targets set for the project and consulting with legal when needed. They will also need an understanding of the financial implications in the contract and using established P&L forms and systems.
This is an important role to the NY team, and we are looking for the candidate to match the following qualifications:
- Editorial background in books or other content-rich media spaces, preferably with experience acquiring and editing illustrated nonfiction
- Analytical mindset and the ability to talk through examples of books you have acquired and/or edited, how they sold, and what you learned
- Curiosity for new voices, ideas, and trends (with staying power).
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive necessary to come up with creative and fresh ideas, approach new and existing authors, and channel innovation into book form
- Ability to acquire a strong and profitable list of commercially relevant titles
- Editorial and project management skills to take a book through all stages of its development
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in an acquisition editor or product development role
- Enthusiasm for approaching potential authors and brands from major media and social media, including Instagram, TikTok, and influential bloggers/websites. Agent contacts a plus but not necessary
- Capable of working independently, being proactive, and embracing a hands-on work environment
- Experience communicating with managing editorial, design, production, marketing, and sales teams
- Ability to write compelling book proposals
To apply please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Cover letter required with application.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.