Frances Lincoln Children’s Books and Wide Eyed Editions are looking for a creative and highly motivated Designer to join our team. This is an excellent opportunity to build your design career within children’s illustrated book publishing and develop new skills. The job will focus on our award-winning picture book list, which features best-selling authors such as David Litchfield, Bethan Stevens and Beatrice Blue, but there will also be an opportunity to work on non-fiction illustrated books. The position will be based at our London Old Brewery office but will include a mixture of office and remote working.
The successful candidate will have proven design experience within children’s books publishing, with the ability to produce commercially appealing designs and juggle a varied workload while keeping to deadlines and budgets. Excellent communication skills and proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop are essential. Experience in designing picture story books is highly desired.
Key Results Areas
1. Manage projects from Publisher hand over stage to file delivery
- Complete design and layout of LIVE titles from handover to files to production
- Liaise with authors and artists during the book creation process
- Design 20-30 titles per year
- Contribute to development of new novelty and non-fiction formats
- Ensure imprint visual style and design approach is maintained across new designs
2. Design innovative and creative jackets and pitches for presentation with sales
- Create pitch covers and sales materials from Publisher briefs
- Complete Greenlighting process
- Help with bookfair preparations
3. Find and recruit new illustrators for projects briefed by the Publisher
- Find new illustrators for titles as briefed by Publisher if none are already chosen
- Seek out innovative styles of illustration for new projects that break the mould
The preceding document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an all-encompassing list of responsibilities, duties and skills.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to Karissa Santos, Art Director: