Ivy Kids, Frances Lincoln Children’s Books and Wide Eyed Editions are looking for a creative, highly organised and motivated Senior Designer to join our team, working on award-winning and best-selling children’s books. A significant area of responsibility is the managing the design of the English language co-edition output of our business, designing presentations and live books for key customers, as well as working on picture books and non-fiction for our market-leading Trade lists. The position will include a mixture of office and remote working, and will be based out of either our Brighton or London office according to the candidate’s own location.
The successful candidate will have proven design experience within children’s books publishing, with the ability to produce commercially appealing designs and juggle a varied workload while efficiently managing deadlines and budgets, and line managing and developing a junior member of staff. Excellent communication skills, organisational skills and proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop are essential.
This is a full time Permanent opportunity, reporting to our Art Director. The role would be 50% home based. The other 50% you will work from either our Brighton or London office with occasional travel between sites.
1. Manage the design side of our English language co-edition output
(in co-ordination with our Senior Editor), consisting of:
- Visually directing and producing sample presentation material for c. 20 titles per year.
- Oversee the design and layout of successful co-edition and custom sales that go live, including negotiating with and briefing artists and freelance designers, as well as managing the design of projects in-house
- Making sure all projects are carefully kept to schedule, meeting customers’ approval stage
- Delivering print-ready files to production
2. Line managing the Studio Design Assistant, including:
- Developing the Studio Design Assistant’s skills and overseeing their workload
- Conducting biannual reviews
3. Designing Trade books, both novelty and straight formats, including:
- Completing design and layout of live trade titles from handover to files to production
- Creating sales material as necessary
- Helping with bookfair preparation
- Ensuring imprint visual style and design approach is maintained across new designs
- Ability to create designs according to the different stylistic requirements of differing trade lists or co-edition customers
Excellent technical understanding of layout and typography
- Ability to tightly scamp images and layouts to brief freelancers
- Keen awareness of visual commercial landscape and trends
Management and leadership skills:
- Strong scheduling and management skills, setting up and keeping on top of multiple schedules to ensure titles are delivered on time and on budget
- Effective multi-tasker with ability to handle substantial workload under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to nurture and encourage junior team members and reportees, particularly when asked for their opinion or feedback
The preceding document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an all-encompassing list of responsibilities, duties and skills.
To apply please send a CV and location to Georgia Amson-Bradshaw, Publisher: